Monday, June 25, 2012

Feast of St. John the Baptist Day

This was our third year hosting a beer and cheese party.  The weather hasn't been great, or at least it hasn't been consistently sunny and dry, so I had to reconsider where we'd have our porch party at our new house.  I originally planned to set up a table in the grass near the front steps, but since it had been raining during the day I didn't want people to get their feet damp. Instead we set up the table on the deck. I kept the same tablecloth and flowers from the Bee Tea.
All the beers came from Belmont Station and the cheeses mostly from Zupan's.
  • Havarti Dill (Demark) paired with Czech Rebel Pilsner (Check Republic)
  • Hook's Sharp Cheddar (Wisconsin) paired with Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale (Yorkshire, England)
  • Parmigiano Reggiano paired with Chainbreaker White IPA (Deschutes, Oregon)  This one I actually heard about when I was driving up to Seattle a couple weekends ago.  I was in Mr. W's pickup which only has a cassette player.  There are limited radio stations between here and there so I ended up listening to a local beer themed radio program.  They mentioned that this was to be a limited release, seasonal brew so I wanted to incorporate it into our tasting.  Mr. W had already purchased a six pack of it before I even brought it up.  The man knows beer.
  • Emmentaler paired with Spaten Oktoberfest (Munich, Germany)
  • Bleu Cheese (Idaho) paired with Chimay Grande Reserve (Chimay, Belgium)
I tried everything again this year, but I still don't like beer and didn't like any of them. People really liked the Chimay and the Chainbreaker.
Kids in the dig pit.
 
It got chilly early so we retired to the kitchen and later the Drawing Room while the older boys got to watch a movie. We are really enjoying entertaining in our new house!


No comments:

Post a Comment