Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Martinmas: Roasted chestnuts


My Italian Holiday Cooking cookbook has a recipe for Hot Roasted Chestnuts for the feast of St. Martin. Since we gathered a basketful of chestnuts on our foraging walk I decided we could roast them tonight. We have a full week so I thought I would make something simple for dinner like roasted chicken breast, sweet potatoes, and frozen peas. I noticed fresh ginger in the refrigerator and thought maybe I could make a sauce to go on the chicken with it so I seasoned the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and ground ginger. Mr. W had a sauce in the freezer to which I added the ginger. We also tried to have Baby Boy eat the baked sweet potatoes, but he doesn't seem to be ready for them in non-pureed form.
For some reason I thought that you are supposed to put little x's on the chestnuts before you roast them, although that is clearly not in the recipe. They were so bitter and yuck. I felt bad becasue My Little Helper was so excited to eat the nuts he had gathered. But neither Mr. W nor I have ever eaten chestnuts before so we had no idea of what they are supposed to taste like. It was kind of a disaster. I don't know if scoring them with an x first made them dried out or if there are some varieties of chestnuts that are no good. I don't know why anyone would want to write a song about these chestnuts roasted on an open fire! Clearly more research is needed before I attempt something like this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment