Saturday, April 23, 2011

Good Friday

The Feast Day Cookbook says it was traditional in Germany to have spatzel and stewed fruits for Good Friday. That sound much better than the alternative of a strict fast. Years ago I had seen Marthe Stewart making spatzel by dropping the batter into boiling water and though it looked like too much work, but with only prunes as a side dish I figured it wouldn't bee too much of an undertaking. I followed the spatzel recipe in the book and found it very easy. I misunderstood how much butter to use with the bread crumbs, so I'm sure it would be even tastier.
I've never stewed fruit before so I used this Martha recipe substituting sherry for Marsala. It was very good; in fact both recipes were a hit with My Little Helper so I think this simple meal is a keeper.
I left everyone at home and went to Good Friday service alone. It is so powerful and moving which results in making me cry so it was nice to be able to give it my undivided attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment