Thursday, August 25, 2011

Huckleberry syrup

My Little Helper and I finally made huckleberry syrup today. I used this recipe as a guide. Against its recommendations I did it all as one batch, hopefully it will still turn out fine.
Since I knew our berry picking didn't yield enough for many batches I decided to use my freezer containers rather than borrowing all my mom's canning equipment. I ran them all through the dishwasher to get them nice and sterilized. Meanwhile we began squishing the huckleberries through the chinois. He always loves this part the most.
Our berries produced 2 1/3 cups of juice and I mixed that with 3 1/4 cups of sugar and the juice of one lemon. Then I brought it to a rolling boil.
Then we divided our syrup between the containers. After they cooled I covered, added labels and stuck in the freezer. I'm looking forward to having a relaxing weekend at home so we can enjoy the fruits of our labor. Hopefully next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment