Thursday, March 26, 2020

In the Garden for the Annunciation

We weren't able to cancel our spring break cabin at Black Butte so we transferred our quarantine to achieve cabin fever in the mountains. When we returned home the first thing I did was walk the children through our yard to check out what had popped up while we were away for 5 days. (Also I really didn't want them going from a few hours in the car straight to play video games.)

The Mount Hood daffodils in the Marian Garden are up and looking very happy. I think I need to move the statue of St. Mary to be in front of the white fuchsia (or I ought to have cut it back in the fall.) The Marian name for daffodils is Mary's Star.


Also some of the petite peachy daffodils are up although they are not as robustly growing as the Mt. Hoods.  One of my purple pink Lenten roses in the background.


Under the fig tree is an eruption of violets or Our Lady's Modesty. It is associated with the Annunciation because of St. Mary's humility when the angel Gabriel told her she would be the Mother of God. I just love how these Marian flowers tie in the season of the bloom with the holy day or feast day. I think the little grassy spikes are camas flowers which have self seeded (exciting!!) or maybe native blue eyed grass? I will have to keep an eye out on what develops here.


And look at this happy patch of native wild ginger! Look at that bloom! I don't think I have ever noticed them blooming before, but it is such a subtle color and it is such a humble, modest plant itself. I'm thrilled at how things are establishing themselves in the native hedgerow bed.


Lastly I read a page on the Annunciation from Tomie de Paola's Mary The Mother of Jesus book.



No comments:

Post a Comment