Saturday, March 28, 2020

Daisy Space Science Explorer Badge

I had signed Little Miss up for a workshop in May to earn this badge, but now everything in our council has been cancelled through mid May. Fortunately in this time of quarantine lots of older scouts and adults are putting together virtual lessons. Yesterday she did all three of those video lessons which included making a Mars rover.




When I looked at the actual badge requirements I felt like the videos didn’t quite cover it all so I went into our home library to fill the gaps on the sun and moon.  A Child’s Introduction to the Night Sky by Michael Driscoll was the main source I used, but I filled in with This is the Way to the Moon by M. Sasek and Little Kids First Big Book of Space by Catherine D. Hughes.


To cover the women in space bios I used the cut sheet designed to go with the badge which features Mae Jemison and Huy Tran and our council’s spring program guide which had a blurb on Sally Ride. I also read her the page on Sally Ride in our copy of She Persisted by Chelsea Clinton.


Hōkū The Stargazer by Ellie Crowe is a fun glow in the dark book about using the stars as navigation that we will probably read tonight when it is dark enough to see the glow.

I have a feeling I’m going to be ordering a lot of badges for independent work during the quarantine.

No comments:

Post a Comment