Monday, November 2, 2009

All Saints Day

In the spirit of reviving obscure Catholic feast days I have been visiting relatives at cemeteries for the last few years. This is my first attempt at creating a home display or altar. I didn't really do all the ofrendas like food, water, and treats which is traditional. (Sorry to my grandmas that I didn't offer packs of cigarettes.) I also couldn't find marigolds at Freddy's so I made due with orange chrysanthemums and some spent mums from our garden. After I put out some family photos I decided to include the saint statues that my grandma S gave me as gifts when I received sacraments. So here is La Madonna
This calaveras sculpture Mr. W and I bought on a trip to Nogales shortly after our wedding. This is my childhood best friend's dad
A photo I took of my dad the day of his mother's funeral
St. Therese, my great grandma Thelma and St. Joseph
The whole mantle display. A nice first attempt at a tribute, right? I also planned out a big feast. I made shredded chicken enchiladas with a verde sauce and cuban ground beef empanadas. Mr. W loves to cook so he made the ground beef filling while I made the dough & rolled out the empanadas. It is nice to be married and part of a team! Everything turned out yummy and even the littlest W enjoyed the meal.
Today I had planned to go out to some of the cemeteries to deliver flowers. It was a beautiful day to so it would have been perfect. But the littlest W took a very long nap and by the time he woke up it was too dark. Thanks a lot time change! Here is hoping that tomorrow won't be pouring down rain

No comments:

Post a Comment