Thursday, April 9, 2020

Quarantine Holy Thursday

I have mostly been staying at home in part because I was so sick at the beginning of the shelter in place order. Mr. W got into the habit of running the family errands and since I am more of a homebody than him we have just kept that arrangement. But as I have been doing my spring weeding and pruning I realized that the best solution around the pond is to dig out the dirt that is full on endless weeds, add new soil, and then top with bark dust. This meant that I needed to go to the plant nursery. Mr. W had thought about going on the weekend, but he said the line was crazy long that he did not want to attempt. It was strange; we had to wait in line in the parking lot on little paint marks and get a pep talk/lesson on how to shop. There were signs everywhere about the social distancing and everyone was wearing masks. So creepy, yet so necessary.


All I needed was the dirt and bark dust, so I could have gone straight to the register line, but I wanted to add some yellow-eyed grass for the spot in front of the pond. I have planted two clumps of it in the past, but when I was weeding I only found one had returned. I don't think my passionflower made it through the fall and winter either, but really did not want to spend time browsing during quarantine so I went straight to the native plant section, grabbed the very last yellow-eyed grass and returned to the check out line.


Look how nicely the camas is self seeding in the native hedgerow around the fig tree.
<3 p="">
<3 p="">
My dinner plans were very simple this week and I had planned for grilled cheese sandwiches, tomato soup, and dandelion salad. We didn't end up having any lettuce in the house though so instead Mr. W used the recipe for sautéed dandelions with onions. I think the trick is to chop it up nice and small, last year I had a hard time chewing the pieces because they were so stringy. Also I think he used a lot of butter, which makes everything delicious.
<3 p="">
<3 p="">
We were so behind in our scheduled that we missed the live stream of Mass. Instead we washed each other's feet. The kids thought it was weird, and commented on not wanting to be each other's slaves, but we tried to direct the conversation toward humbling ourselves before each other and showing each other how much we love we share by this act. Little Miss really enjoyed doing it and asked to wash her dad's other foot. And the boys both enjoyed the feeling of the foot washing so each of them washed their own second foot. 
<3 p="">


No comments:

Post a Comment