Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Glue and salt Pysanky art project

There is a craft project that has passed through my fb feed a half dozen times in which one uses glue to make a design, then sprinkles the glue with salt, then decorate with watercolor paint after it dries.  At the beginning of the homeschool year I had been wanting to plan a field trip up to Seattle to visit Mr. W's friends the Hs so Mrs. H could teach us how to do Ukrainian eggs as a homeschool art project. Now that we have to shelter in place, not to mention how hard hit the Seattle area has been with the corona virus, I needed to modify my egg decorating plan. I decided that we could try out the glue/salt/watercolor project with traditional Easter egg patterns.

I found some Pysanky coloring sheets to use as a guide and paper clipped them to half sheets of watercolor paper so the children could trace the pattern. Then they copied over those lines with the glue. I'm not sure what type of salt was recommended in the fb post, but we were all out of kosher salt (thanks, pandemic) and resorted to iodized salt. We had to let that all dry overnight. Then we set up watercolor paints today and did the dabbing technique shown in the video which results in the color bleeding out through the salt.



The dabbing was a little tedious for one child so he asked for another sheet of watercolor paper and painted a rainbow instead.


While they were painting I read to them from Jesus Speaks to Me About Easter by Angela M. Burrin and This Was The Day! by Ann Kmit. The latter was one I picked up at the Polish fest in the fall along with a red egg.


No comments:

Post a Comment