Friday, March 11, 2011

Stations of the Cross

In addition to giving something up for Lent, I am am going to do something good too. My mom doesn't give anything up, instead she goes to Stations of the Cross every week. I try to go at least once during Lent. This year I thought it would be good to go every Friday and then go out for dinner at the Hawthorne Fish House. I thought it could become a nice tradition.
Well, things didn't turn out quite as I had hoped. Attendance is very light at my church, usually only about 20 people or so and it lasts less than half an hour. The children could make it through that, right? I packed cars and trains and a coloring book. Plenty to keep him busy. But once we arrived he wanted nothing to do with any of those activities, instead he wanted to rip the baby's leg off. With all the up and down from the genuflecting and trying to shield the baby by switching arms constantly my patience ran out quickly. I drug them both back to the crying room thinking that this was my cross to bear. One of the women came back to help and make me feel better, which was nice. I am willing to try it again next week, but if he has the same behavior again, I'm going to ask Mr. W to come home early enough that I can go alone.
I had asked Mr. W to take the bus directly to the restaurant and get a table so that when we met him there we could order promptly. I felt bad because it took me longer to get there with the boys than I had anticipated. It did not go well. It is possible that I need to keep my son out of restaurants until he turns 4. I hope that is as magic a number as I have been told! I was hoping to make my way through the menu this season. I love their fish tacos, but decided to try the blackened salmon with sweet potato fries. It was very good even without tartar sauce for dipping. Since our dining experience was unpleasant with our cross companion I ordered a carrot cake to go. I wasn't impressed with the taste or the size. I suppose I really shouldn't be indulging in dessert during Lent anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment