Monday, May 6, 2019

May The Fourth Be With You

The school auction was on Saturday night and they picked such a fun theme based on the date. Mr. W was scheduled to be out of the country so I knew I would be going solo. (See what I did there?) Once I knew that I decided that Princess Leia on Endor would be the easiest costume to pull off, especially since I am hair and make up challenges. So this was the look I was hoping to replicate.

I originally though I would buy some plain canvas and then spray paint it a bit to get that temperate rainforest camo look. I had a bolt of fabric an was on my way back up to the register when I found a lime green batik fabric that was on display, hence why I didn’t see it as an option when I first peruses the batiks. It has that water color look to it which mimics the softness of the colors in Leia’s poncho. I began with 3 yards of this hoping to turn it into a hooded poncho. 
I began by using a hood on a sweatshirt as a template and then sewed that together before I decided I ought to watch the scenes from Return of the Jedi to get the details just right. In hindsight I ought to have done that first because I think the hood actually could have been a tube of fabric attached to the main rectangle. Instead I cobbled together a rectangular piece which I sewed down kind of like a photo corner so that it matched up with the neck opening from the hood. In the end This was my finished project. 


ILeia’s belt only goes around the front of the poncho. I used my dad’s old hippie belt from the 70s and the army surplus ammo bag that I used as a make up bag when we went on my City Slickers 40th birthday cattle drive. (Which I never blogged about.) I decided that my riding helmet would pass for hers. So now I just needed to fashion a blaster. They don’t sell toy ones for whatever reason, and I disn’t Feel like investing in a LARPer quality DIY kit so I decided to spray paint a water squirted we had laying around. Then I fashioned a holster out of felt (lots of trial and error with that!)


In the end I think it came together nicely, who knew I’d be able to repurpose cattle drive accessories for Star Wars? 



No comments:

Post a Comment