Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Shrove Tuesday

Mardi Gras, Carnival, Fat Tuesday, what have you... this is one of my favorite celebrations! I think Shrove Tuesday is more of a British term and means Pancake Tuesday. Since Lent customarily would have been a time for abstaining from meat, dairy, and animal fats, pancakes were a great way to use up all the eggs, milk and butter left in the house.
I have been making pancakes for the past few years for Fat Tuesday, this year though I decided to try crepes. Mr. W is such a francophile so I thought they'd be a nice touch. He isn't a big fan of breakfast for dinner so he requested savory crepes. We had a variety of cheeses left over from the Carnivale dinner party as well as an entire chicken breast from a weeknight dinner. I was determined to clean out the refrigerator of temptations!
I found a basic crepe recipe on line. I was so excited when I read at the end of the recipe that the 2 tbsp of melted butter went IN the batter and not in the pan. I'll admit that I was nervous about making crepes. I'm not the best at regular pancakes and crepes have a rep for being more difficult. I think I did a pretty good job though! Here the batter is swished around the pan to get even coverage.Flipped over, this browning looks good.I used baked chicken breast, mixed lettuce greens and Rogue River blue cheese for the savory crepes.Rolled up they are like a little frenchy burrito! Yum!I planned to make dessert crepes too, the littlest W had maple syrup on his dinner crepes. However we had to go to a meeting at 7 pm and drop off our son first. What a difference a decade makes... I used to celebrate Mardi Gras out, drinking heavily and dancing on the bar. This year we instead went to an orientation at the Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE). Another unsuccessful cycle and relatively normal results from the cooter x-ray and my doctor finally gave me a referral to the RE. Hopefully this will give us take us in a direction that allows us to bring home one more biological baby. The info night ran late though and by the time we picked up our boy and got home I wasn't in the mood to mix up another batch of crepes. We settled on a dessert of the last of the schiacciata.
The fridge is practically empty in preparation for Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment