Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Chinese New Year!

I was a little torn as to which holiday to celebrate today: President's Day or Chinese New Year? I hung the flag in the morning, but that was the end of it. I have a Tasha Tudor recipe for Washington pie that I have wanted to try for years, but decided to pass on it for another year, I already have enough sweets in the house and Lent is fast approaching.
Instead I planned for Chinese take out and Mah Jongg. My only problem was the stinkin' Olympics. All my regular Mah Jonggers were too wrapped up watching ice skating or whatever else was on so I ended up with no Jongg either. Although I believe technically the Chinese New Year celebrations extend for two weeks so I still have time to play.
Unfortunately I had to take the littlest W to the doctor for an unexpected visit and they couldn't fit him in until the end of the day. The clinic is in Hollywood so I realized this would be the perfect time to try out Chin's Kitchen. I have long admired the neon signage on this restaurant, but I'd never been inside. That might be because I grew up not liking Chinese food, largely in part to my dislike of rice. Why eat rice when you could eat a potato? I finally acquired a taste for Chinese food while living in NY. I almost exclusively dated Jewish young men while I was there; therefore, I was exposed to lots of Chinese take out. The dining area in Chin's is very small since they cater more to take out and delivery. Yay! Delivery! I have a hard time finding Chinese that will deliver in SE and the place within walking distance recently closed. I see more of Chin's in our future!
We had crab puffs, kung pao chicken, and sweet and sour shrimp. But no Mah Jongg.

No comments:

Post a Comment