Friday, November 29, 2019

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It's all about food and family, and most importantly there is a heavy focus of pie. We weren't hosting a huge group this year so I only doubled (instead of quadrupling) the cranberry daiquiri recipe and made both the pies. Last year my grandmother finally consented to moving into a retirement community and has no regrets in the decision. There is a restaurant downstairs where she can dine with other residents and I think she can even have food sent up to her room. Everything about the community is so convenient for her, so convenient that she is reluctant to want to leave, even for holidays and special occasions. Her knee really troubles her so she would rather avoid stairs, and most of her family have homes that require a few steps up. As a result we are now a smaller party that can all sit at one table together.

I love how the pecan pie is all puffed up when you remove it from the oven.



Everyone can fit in the dining room this year. I set the table with the Moonlight Rose dishes and the french crystal goblets. Did I mention that we were burgled during our summer vacation? They stole our sterling silver that we received for our wedding, among other things. It was pretty sad setting the table this year without it. I filled in with a set of silverplate flatware that I inherited from one of my great grandmothers (and that they saw, but did not steal.)


I always use this collection of squirrel and quail place card holders and this year I found some pretty harvest themed place cards while Little Miss and I were out shopping. (And I remembered that I bought them AND where I put stored them!)




Deuce was a good helper while I et the table and was very complimentary of my work. He was inspired to make a centerpiece for our table: a turkey of legos. I love it! I think he is so creative.


He and the others also loved to help we dress up the Muffy and Hoppy dolls for the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment